This isn't really Graham related, but its Mommy related. I just thought I would share what is up with me. It has officially been 15 months since I have taught/worked outside the home/collected a paycheck/wore real clothes/attended a meeting/etc! I have been pretty shocked at how easily that part of me just sort of ended and I didn't look back. I really didn't miss it much at all, which really surprised me. Though recently I have begun to think I should do something that will help me with my own feelings of self worth (if you stay at home, you get this) so I decided it was time to start tutoring a little bit each week. I am so glad that I did. I am really enjoying keeping up my skills (let's face it, it's not everyday that most of us multiply binomials or change linear equations into slope-intercept form!), and interacting with kids again. What is interesting though, is in just the few weeks I have been tutoring, I may have made a discovery about my future. I have always thought that one day I would go back to teaching, and I do think that I will go back into education in some form. However, what I have enjoyed about tutoring the most is being able to sit with a student one on one and actually see my lesson being processed and understood-teaching at its absolute core. As a classroom teacher, you really don't get to do this very often with each student, but we all wish we could.
Anyway, its been working out well that I can tutor either during Graham's afternoon nap (the second hour of his nap is the first hour kids are home from school!) of after he goes to bed at 7. As much as I love teaching Graham everyday, having to use and challenge my brain in a different way has been fun!
5 years ago





2 comments:
Hi Monica! Oh my gosh - you know I get ALL of what you just wrote today. I'm so proud of you - I'm so glad tutoring is going so well!! It is SO nice to just sit one on one with a student and watch your hard work and thoughtfully designed lesson blossom with student success! I looooved that part of tutoring. And...you're so right, it keeps your skills sharp and keeps you connected to the profession! I would definitely consider tutoring, maybe not quite yet, but down the road! My favorite comment you mentioned was the "attended a meeting/wore real clothes/collected a paycheck" - that is so, so true! It's hard doing what we do - big sacrifices, but big, big rewards!
And...i LOVED to color, too - that is my hope for Daly and why I bought him the cute PBK table like yours!
...and hooray for your comment area working!!!
Post a Comment